|Photo credit: QuotesBuddy.com|
When I converted my class to a Results Only Learning Environment, I eliminated all testing, including quizzes. Here are five reasons that quizzing doesn't work.
- Most quizzes are made up of multiple choice items, which provide inaccurate results, because you never really know when a student guesses.
- Many students simply don't test well, so they may know the material but get the quiz questions wrong.
- There are many activities that engage students and are conducive to formative assessment, which is far less threatening than a quiz and provides much better feedback.
- Quizzes create anxiety and tend to hurt students' grades.
- Quizzes are designed to make students accountable for learning. Accountability makes students hate learning.