February 18, 2012

Do your students know that you know their names?

Photo credit: designscollage.com
I recently listened to a scintillating presentation from Dr. Russ Quaglia, of the Qualia Institute. In his work on student aspirations, Qualia and his people survey students and educators around the world about perceptions of one another, among other important interpersonal items.

During a lecture, Quaglia announced that 50 percent of respondents nationwide say that their teachers don't know their names. Would you ever have guessed this to be true? Even if you see 150 students daily, you certainly know all of their names a couple of weeks into the school year, don't you?

"How often do you call every student by name?" Quaglia inquired, allowing the question's impact to settle for several seconds, before continuing. If a week passes, Quaglia continued, and you don't say a student's name, wouldn't she wonder if you know it?

I try to say every student's name daily, but I'm sure there are days that I fail to do so. Would all of my 112 students answer that question the way I want?

What about yours?

3 comments:

  1. As a principal of 260 students, I make it my goal to know every student's name by Christmas... It is so powerful to say hello to a child by name you do not teach... instant chance for a relationship.

    My challenge remains to know parents' names... That is proving much more difficult :-)

    Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a principal and I was pretty good when there were 240 students in the school. I'm really challenged by 385 but it may be due to my mind failing as I get older:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and Blair, I'm in awe of both of you. I struggle mightily with names; I'm guessing this is why Quaglia's message was so sobering to me. I have to work very hard at remembering them; I sometimes even have to use a seating chart after the winter break.

    Do you guys have any tips for remembering all of those names?

    ReplyDelete