June 30, 2011

Can students grade themselves?

While presenting at ISTE 2011, I was demonstrating the effectiveness of using technology to provide narrative feedback to students. I explained the power of such feedback, in terms of learning, and I told the audience that I never place a letter or number grade on anything.

When the time for Q&A arrived, a curious attendee asked, "When it comes time for a report card grade, how do you do it?" He appeared stunned by my response.

"I let the kids decide the grade," I said. I could tell that he and most others in the audience were perplexed, so I elaborated. "I meet with each student," I continued, "I ask them to review their production for the quarter, along with all feedback. I ask them to evaluate the work. Then I say, 'So, what's your grade?' It's amazing how honest they are. Some even give themselves F's."

Can this system work in your class? If so, what's keeping you from doing it?"

4 comments:

  1. I have been doing this as well and it absolutely works! The kids are much tougher o themselves and we always end up having an incredible honest reflection about their progress and their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mrs. Ripp, I appreciate your comment. Knowing this, is very helpful to me. I'd love to talk more about your experiences. Please contact me via e-mail at mark@thepaperlessclassroom.com.

    I'd love to know how long you've been using feedback and self-evaluation. If your students take standardized tests, I'd be interested in their results vs. students in traditional classes with grades.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how have you handled students who don't grade themselves honestly? Those students who look at their poor work and feedback and say they should get an A. Then, do you have to override their grade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens very rarely. I use the "Hmm., really? Are you sure?" approach. When I do this and pause, they will rethink things most of the time and immediately change their grade. Sometimes, I will remind them of things that went wrong during the grading period. "What about this in-class activity that you never completed?" I'll ask. "Why didn't you get this done?"

      There was one time -- I actually share this in my book -- when a student said, "I still think I should get an A." She probably deserved a C+ or a B-. I told her she would get the A, and she was shocked. "You're really going to give it to me?" she said. "It's your grade," I responded.

      For the remainder of the school year, she never missed an activity or project. It was amazing how it became more important to her, when I stuck to my word, because I always tell the students that I don't care about the grade. I want to know that they come to value learning.

      Delete