May 28, 2011

More from the forthcoming book

My book, ROLE Reversal: How Results Only Learning Will Change Education As We Know It, is currently being reviewed by book publishers. I'm hoping it will be released this fall.

Yesterday, I shared the book's introduction and asked for your feedback. Your comment on that post would be very helpful.

Meanwhile, here's another brief selection from the book:

What Stakeholders Say

The first year I implemented a ROLE, I surveyed my students at the end of the school year, in order to get their honest opinions about what was a major change in teaching methods for them. Since I was the only teacher using results-only learning, my students were used to homework, tests, rows of desks and number and letter grades. I asked students to answer multiple choice survey questions about narrative feedback, year-long projects, the elimination of rules and other aspects of a ROLE. Since they didn’t put their names on the surveys, they were free to be as honest as they wanted.

Uncanny results

Of my 100 students 87 completed the survey. The results (no pun intended) were overwhelming. Ninety-nine percent of my students indicated a preference to results-only learning over traditional learning. A whopping 93 percent said narrative feedback was more valuable than number and letter grades. Ninety-five percent preferred project-based learning, and 84 percent said they believed rules and consequences were not necessary because students in a ROLE value learning and cooperation more than being disruptive.

It’s clear, based on this survey, student feedback provided in earlier chapters and the remarkable statistical improvements my students have made in a workshop setting, that results-only learning is popular and successful with students.
Results-only learning is revolutionary education reform that may scare traditional teachers.

What are your thoughts?

Update, March, 2012
The book, ROLE Reversal, is now under contract with ASCD and will be published in late 2012 or early 2013. I'll keep you posted on the release date.

No comments:

Post a Comment