April 2, 2012

Top 5 reasons I won't teach to the test

The conversation about standardized test preparation is a popular one at my school. Of course, most of the discussions stem from district mandates to constantly give practice material. Unlike new teachers, I don't have to cower behind an achievement test workbook, assuring principals that I'll drill my students into submission daily. Having tenure, though, isn't why I choose never to teach to the test. Here are the top 5 reasons I refuse to do it.

5 - Standardized tests fail to measure learning. In the long run, this thing isn't much more than a glorified guessing game.

4 - Why on Earth should learning be standardized? Shouldn't it be unique? If learning is the same everywhere, students should just stay home and read web-based texts.

3 - Practicing for standardized tests steals time from far more valuable learning experiences. I plan exciting, interactive lessons and projects for my students. We read, write and collaborate daily. I can't afford to give this up. Plus, my students wouldn't forgive me if I did.

2 - Standardized test practice isn't fun. If you've ever read anything I've written, you know I am a firm believer that learning should be fun. When it stops being fun, it's not learning; at this point we should all just go home.

1 - I have a responsibility to my students to be better than this. Spending class time on drill-and-kill standardized test practice makes teachers nothing more than mindless automatons, which is exactly how the bureaucrats are labeling us. If I spend most of my time on standardized test practice, not only will they be right, but I'll be guilty of the greatest injustice of all -- failing my students.

2 comments:

  1. While I agree that teaching the content of standardized tests in the standardized test-prep way is a waste of time for both students and teachers, I would argue that teaching standardized tests as a genre is well-worth the short amount of time it takes. Anyone continuing into academic life beyond high school will have to contend with standardized test. Even doctors and lawyers have to do it. Having the skills you need to read and interpret these tests is a valuable skill for anyone who might seek certification in the future. That includes people who want to certify as cosmeticians, auto mechanics for particular brands or technology, and teachers.

    I am not saying that I think standardized tests are great. I think they aren't a great way to measure learning in primary and secondary students. But just as we want students to be able to get the most out of the newspaper, novels, and technical manuals, we want them to be able to rock any standardized test that's thrown at them. I refuse to assess students using multiple choice silliness just because I have to practice the test with them. But I AM willing to teach a mini-unit on "The Standardized Test and How to Boss It Around."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the title of your mini-unit. I've never really thought of the standardized test as a "genre." Interesting idea. Perhaps your "bossing it around" method of instruction could be one that actually gets students thinking about attacking a problem.

      I'd love to see some of your lessons.

      Delete