March 8, 2012

Help! My student hates me

Not too long ago, a teacher and I conversed about students who, no matter what you as the teacher do, just hate you.

You work on rapport-building; you smile at them daily; you compliment them. You explain as carefully as possible that you want what's best for them. Still, they won't budge. They won't do anything for you, because they hate you and everything about your class

As a veteran teacher, who has worked with every kind of kid imaginable, I like to think I have a solution for everything. This one, though has me stumped. No matter how engaging your class and how friendly you may be, some students bring a particular personality that just isn't going to mesh with yours.

So, what do you do when a student hates you?

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I haven't figured this one out yet. I do have kids that I work hard to get along with and to find any common ground or ways we can just chat because in class and with regards to the work we're doing they just will not engage. I can't even begin to fathom why they refuse to engage with any part of what we're doing, no matter what I try or what tools we use.

    I just keep reminding myself to be kind whenever possible because a majority of our class interactions are me trying to finds ways to engage them, which comes across as negative. I know, something I gotta work on. I'm human and I do react humanly.

    ReplyDelete