December 13, 2011

Angering the traditionalists

It seems that I inadvertently upset a colleague. In fact, angered is a more appropriate word.

While the teacher was making students copy nightly homework into an agenda book (yawn), a frustrated student who also has me for a teacher, announced that "Mr. Barnes says homework has no value." Uh-oh.

Now, just to be clear, I do tell students when they ask why I don't assign homework that I don't see the value in it and that they'd be better off reading for pleasure. I always add that other teachers do what they believe is best, and the students should honor that.

My colleague responded with a rather pointed e-mail, suggesting that my philosophy was hurting the entire building.

My initial reaction was to reply with a cyber dart of my own, but I refrained. After further consideration, I decided that the word is finally getting out. Before today, I thought my colleagues weren't listening to my pleas for reason on homework and grades. This was the first signal that they are taking notice.

Hmm, I wonder what I can do next to anger the traditionalists.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to categorize "traditional" as "anything Mark Barnes doesn't do".

    In fact, progressives are all over homework. They are big believers in homework and showing their thinking and blah blah blah. They are the opposite of results-based. They are all about process. Declaring that homework has no value is a no-no to a progressive.

    On the other hand, many traditionalists weight tests heavily and don't care much about homework.

    I loathe the progressive mode of teaching, see no value in "project based work" for any real teaching, yet assign very little homework and see no value in it, other than as a way for teachers to give kids a hoop to jump through.

    By the way, I don't see how you can see "the word is getting out" as a good thing if you are viewed as criticizing other teachers. They think you're a jerk, so how that helps you propagandize is more than I can figure.

    There are a million ways to answer the homework question without directly calling its value into question. You might want to study up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    I'm glad I could ignite such passion on you.

    Actually I've got a year's worth of research in my book. Look for it next year.

    Thanks for reading. Hope you'll be a regular.

    ReplyDelete