October 5, 2011

What is the logic of a homework pass?

Let me begin this post with the precursor that no one has yet clearly explained the logic of homework, so the idea of a homework pass is even more elusive to me.

My 7-year-old, who has more homework than some Ph.D candidates, I think, announced today that she won a homework pass, because she earned stickers for, what else? Completing homework.

Huh?

Is it just me, or is this the craziest system in education? First, teachers inundate second-graders with hours of homework, which they, of course, hate.

Then, if  the students complete enough homework, the teachers hand out a homework pass, which forgives future homework, as some twisted reward for doing homework in the first place.

So, what exactly is the message?
  • Do boring homework. . . reason unknown.
  • Complete a particular amount of homework, and you can stop doing homework for a night.
I don't get the logic. I wonder if my 7-year-old does.

No comments:

Post a Comment